Duke of Edinburgh
The Dales School has been a registered centre for The Duke of Edinburgh Award since 2017. We offer all our 6th form students the opportunity to work towards and achieve a bronze award. During their time in 6th form students will carry out volunteering work, engage in sports, physical activity and develop new skill sets. In their final year students have the opportunity to take part in an expedition and overnight camp. All these DofE sections are adapted and individualised to meet our student’s needs and offer personal challenge.
The following are examples from each DofE section that students have completed:
- Volunteering- Foxglove Covert Nature Reserve, Wensleydale Railway, Hambleton Foodshare, Childrens’ Resource Centre.
- Physical- rebound, swimming, riding, gym, dance, MATP [motor activity training programme].
- Skills- cooking a simple meal, preparing hot drinks, using a sewing machine, baking bread.
- Expedition- route around Richmond area, Sutton Bank route.
- Overnight camps- this takes place on the school grounds with access to the school building for personal care routines. On the evening students: set up their tents; cook on a barbeque preparing their own meal; enjoy a campfire singalong; and participate in team games. Some students leave at the end of the evening.
To find out more about the Duke of Edinburgh scheme please follow the link below.